This is an engaging and accessible style of mathematics teaching, inspired by Singapore and Shanghai. The approach enhances mathematical understanding, enjoyment and achievement for every child.
- We are working in partnership with schools to embed a mastery approach to mathematics teaching.
- We are aiming to improve pupils’ understanding, enjoyment and attainment in mathematics.
- The key principles underpin all that we are doing. We have high expectations for every child. We teach fewer topics in greater depth. We emphasise problem-solving and conceptual understanding.
- The programme pulls together many established ideas and methods into one rigorous teaching approach.
- Children are encouraged to physically represent mathematical concepts. Objects and pictures are used to demonstrate and visualise abstract ideas, alongside numbers and symbols.
- Mathematical concepts are explored in a variety of representations and problem-solving contexts to give pupils a richer and deeper learning experience.
- We are focusing on narrowing the achievement gap between different groups of students, as well as raising standards overall. We want all learners to share the enthusiasm for mathematics.
- The approach is based on research and internationally recognised practices, and underpinned by key principles.
- We are drawing on international evidence, in particular from Singapore and Shanghai, where the high value of mathematics is firmly embedded in the culture and achievement is consistently high.